Sunrise at the house

Sunrise at the house

Thursday, July 5, 2012

I have a blog?

I've got a blog? Since when? Oh yeah, I set this page up and 4 years ago and never posted a single thing. Boy have I got a lot of catching up to to do. Where to begin? I had knee surgery in 2008 and dusted off my old bicycle for rehab and rode and rode and rode. The next thing I know, I'm signing up to climb the stairs of a 54 story building for charity in January of 2009. Props to the Luekemia Society of North Texas for putting on the event. Did I mention that I did the whole thing in my full firefighter gear and carrying an airpack?

How do you follow that? You sign up for a half marathon when you've never even run a 5k. Go big or go home! Rock and Roll Half marathon followed by the Big D Half barely 3 weeks later. Suddenly I'm completely hooked on seeing what my limits are. That summer I rode the bike leg of a Sprint triathlon relay, our team taking first place.

That's the crew from work, first and second place teams in the relay, plus three individual racers. In September, I did the Susan Komen Race for the Cure 5 K, my first 5 K that wasn't part of a half marathon, again in full firefighting gear. Just over an hour. Note to self, next time wear running shoes instead of fire boots.

2010 brought some old challenges and some new ones. Big D stair climb for the Luekemia Society a second time, Rock and Roll Dallas, Rock and Roll San Antonio and an attempt at Criterium racing. (Ugly, very ugly) and I begin thinking seriously about triathlons. I was a swimmer and cyclist in high school and college, but running has never been my thing. I can handle the half marathon distance. For me its a slow steady grind to the finish. Sprint triathlon runs are shorter and the expectation is to run the shorter distances fast. Not my strong suit.

Ok, so there is the preamble. More on this triathlon stuff later.

No comments: